What is Student Residence Permit?
A student residence permit is a document that allows a foreign student to live in Turkiye while studying there. It is regulated in Articles 38 to 41 of the Law on Foreigners and International Protection and in Articles 35 to 39 of the Regulation on the Implementation of the Law on Foreigners and International Protection.
Who are the foreigners who can be issued a Student Residence Permit?
- Foreigners who do not have a family residence permit who will receive primary and secondary education (Foreigners with a family residence permit who will receive education at the primary and secondary level can continue their education without the need for a residence permit until the age of 18. However, those who are over the age of 18 and still continue their education at the secondary education level. students must obtain a residence permit.),
- Foreigners who will receive education at associate degree, undergraduate, graduate, doctorate, Medical Specialization Education (TUS), Specialization Education in Dentistry (DUS) levels in a higher education institution in our country,
student residence permit can be issued.
Student residence permit only provides the right to support the spouse and children of the student in family residence permit applications. It does not provide any right to other relatives to obtain a residence permit.
How Many Years Can a Student Residence Permit Be Issued?
If the education period of the foreign student is less than one year, the duration of the student residence permit cannot exceed the education period.
Foreigners who will come and study in Turkey through public institutions and organizations can be granted a residence permit during their education.
For foreigners who will receive primary and secondary education, whose maintenance and expenses are undertaken by a real or legal person, a student residence permit may be granted and extended for one-year periods during their education with the consent of their parents or legal representatives.
What are the Student Residence Permit Conditions?
To obtain a student residence permit, foreign students must meet the following requirements:
- Provide supporting information and documents related to the purpose of their stay in Turkey, as specified in Article 38 of the Law on Foreigners and International Protection.
- Not be subject to the provisions of Article 7 of the Law on Foreigners and International Protection.
- Disclose the address where they will be staying in Turkey.
These requirements are outlined in Article 39 of the Law on Foreigners and International Protection.
Health Insurance in Student Residence Permit
According to the provisions of the Social Insurance and General Health Insurance Law, health insurance is not required from foreign students who make a request to become a general health insurance holder within three months from the date of their first registration. However, those who lose their right to be covered by general health insurance by not making an application within three months from the date of registration are asked to take out private health insurance.
The Procedures to be Followed in the Change of University, Faculty or Department of Higher Education Students
- In case of a change of faculty or department in the same education institution, and in the case of a change of education institution in the same province, the current residence permit remains valid, provided that the student is not interrupted and notification is made in due time. If the residence permit is shorter than the education period, it is extended by the education period from the date of the end of the permit.
- In case of continuing education in a different province, the current residence permit is terminated by the governorship of the province where the education will continue and a residence permit is issued for the duration of the new education period.
Students’ Right to Work
Associate, undergraduate, graduate and doctorate students who receive formal education in Turkey can work provided that they obtain a work permit. However, the right to work for associate and undergraduate students starts after the first year. Work permit applications are made to the Ministry of Labor and Social Security.
What are the reasons for the Student Residence Permit to be Rejected, Canceled or Not Extended?
- The conditions required for the issuance of a student residence permit are not met or eliminated,
- Evidence that she cannot continue her education,
- Determining that the student residence permit is used for purposes other than the one for which it was issued,
- There is a valid deportation decision or a ban on entry to Turkey,
In such cases, a short-term residence permit is not granted, if it is granted, it is canceled, and those whose duration has expired are not extended.
What are the Required Documents for Student Residence Permit?