What is Family Residence Permit?
A family residence permit is a type of permit that allows a foreign individual to stay in Turkey with their family. It is governed by Articles 34 to 37 of the Law on Foreigners and International Protection, as well as Articles 30 to 34 of the Regulation on the Implementation of the Law on Foreigners and International Protection. These laws and regulations set out the requirements for obtaining a family residence permit, as well as the rights and obligations of individuals who hold such a permit.
Who are the foreigners who can be issued a Family Residence Permit?
Turkish citizens, those who are within the scope of Article 28 of Law No. 5901 or foreigners who have one of the residence permits, refugees and subsidiary protection status holders;
- To his foreign spouse,
- To the minor foreign child of himself or his spouse,
- The dependent foreign child of himself or his spouse,
family residence permit can be issued.
Children’s family residence permit requests must be given the consent of the parents who have joint custody, if any.
Family residence permit provides the right to education in primary and secondary education institutions until the age of eighteen without obtaining a student residence permit.
Foreigners with a family residence permit may request a short-term residence permit in the following cases:
- In case of divorce, if she is married to a Turkish citizen and has stayed with a family residence permit for at least three years, (However, foreigners who prove that they are victims of domestic violence with a court decision are not required to have stayed with a family residence permit for at least three years.)
- If the sponsor’s family stays in our country with a residence permit in case the sponsor dies,
- If those who have stayed in our country with a family residence permit for at least three years have completed the age of eighteen.
For How Many Years Can Family Residence Permit Be Issued?
– Family residence permit can be issued for a period not exceeding three years at a time.
– The duration of the family residence permit may never exceed the duration of the sponsor’s residence permit.
What are the Conditions of Family Residence Permit?
For a family residence permit to be issued, foreigners must meet the conditions set forth in Article 35 of the Law.
- To meet the requirements of the sponsor,
(The sponsor must have valid health insurance covering all family members, have a monthly income not less than one third of the minimum wage per person, certify that he has not committed a crime against family order in the last five years, certify with his criminal record that he has resided in Turkey for at least one year. and registered to the address registration system)
- To meet the requirements for those who apply for a family residence permit to stay with the sponsor,
(Submitting supporting information and documents regarding the purpose of staying in our country, demonstrating that he/she lives or intends to live with the specified persons, spouses have completed the age of eighteen, are not within the scope of Article 7 of the aforementioned Law, the marriage has not been made for the purpose of obtaining a family residence permit)
What are the Reasons for Refusal, Cancellation or Non-Extension of Family Residence Permit?
- The conditions for family residence permit are not fulfilled or disappeared,
- It is determined that the family residence permit is used for purposes other than its issuance,
- The presence of a valid deportation or entry ban decision,
In cases of the family residence permit is not granted, if it is given it is canceled, the ones whose period has expired are not extended.