Как стать гражданином Турции через брак
Turkish citizenship can be acquired in two ways: by birth or by obtaining citizenship after birth. In this blog post, we will focus on how to obtain Turkish citizenship through marriage.
Requirements for Obtaining Turkish Citizenship Through Marriage
Firstly, marrying a Turkish citizen does not automatically grant foreign nationals the right to become Turkish citizens. The conditions for acquiring Turkish citizenship through marriage are regulated under Article 16 of the Turkish Citizenship Law No. 5901. According to the law, foreign nationals must meet the following requirements in order to become Turkish citizens through marriage:
- The foreign national must have been married to a Turkish citizen for at least three years, and the marriage must still be ongoing.
- The spouses must be living together in a family unit.
- The foreign national must not engage in any activities that violate the marriage union.
- The foreign national must not pose a threat to public security.
If foreign nationals meet these requirements, they can apply for Turkish citizenship at the governorate where they reside. However, if the Turkish citizen spouse dies after the application date, the requirement of living together in a family unit will not be necessary.
The last paragraph of the law is related to the situation where the foreign national has obtained Turkish citizenship as a result of the marriage but the marriage is subsequently invalidated. If the foreign national had acted in good faith during the marriage, the Turkish citizenship will not be revoked.
Documents Required for Obtaining Turkish Citizenship Through Marriage
The following documents are required to apply for Turkish citizenship through marriage:
- Completed citizenship application form;
- Copy of the Turkish spouse’s identity card;
- Notarized and Turkish-translated copy of passport or similar documents;
- Notarized and Turkish-translated copy of the foreign spouse’s birth certificate;
- Certificate of Marriage (copy will be presented);
- Latest residence permit for foreign nationals residing in Turkey;
- Document showing that the spouses are living together in a family unit (such as a lease agreement or bank account);
- White background biometric photo taken within the last 6 months;
- Notarized copy of any final court decision related to the foreign national’s criminal record;
- Proof of payment of citizenship application service fee.
How Long Does the Citizenship Process Take?
It is important to note that the speed of the citizenship process depends on the completeness and accuracy of the information and documents provided by the applicant. If the information cannot be obtained easily by the authorities, it may cause delays in the process. Therefore, it is essential to provide complete and accurate information and documents to expedite the citizenship process. Additionally, it is worth noting that the process of obtaining Turkish citizenship through marriage typically takes around 1-2 years to complete.
If you are considering applying for Turkish citizenship through marriage or have any questions regarding the process, it is recommended to seek legal assistance from experienced lawyers. Our team of experts can provide you with guidance and support throughout the entire process. Don’t hesitate to contact us for further information and assistance.